from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To persuade or try to persuade by pleading or flattery; cajole.
- transitive v. To obtain by persistent persuasion: coaxed the secret out of the child.
- transitive v. Obsolete To caress; fondle.
- transitive v. To move to or adjust toward a desired end: "A far more promising approach to treating advanced melanoma is to coax the immune system to recognize melanoma cells as deadly” ( Natalie Angier).
- intransitive v. To use persuasion or inducement.
- n. Informal A coaxial cable.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to fondle, kid, pet, tease
- v. To wheedle, persuade (a person, organisation, animal etc.) gradually or by use of flattery to do something.
- v. To manipulate carefully into a particular situation or position.
- n. A simpleton; a dupe.
- n. Shortened form of coaxial cable
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To persuade by gentle, insinuating courtesy, flattering, or fondling; to wheedle; to soothe.
- n. A simpleton; a dupe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A simpleton; gull; dupe; fool.
- To fondle; caress; flatter; fool with flattery or caresses.
- To persuade by fond pleading or flattery; wheedle; cajole.
- Hence To manage or guide carefully; control in a gentle way: as, to coax a horse into a trot.
- To use cajolery or gentle pleading.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. influence or urge by gentle urging, caressing, or flattering
- n. a transmission line for high-frequency signals
Keating is even the kind of educator who can coax from a shy, stuttering student (Ethan Hawke) Walt Whitman's famed "barbaric yawp."
That braided jacket on the coax is the second most important part of relaying good TV signal.
However, if your coax is the much lossier RG58, or if you intend using the antenna on 30m,
WiFi Rail relies on leaky coax, which is wiring that runs in the tunnel already, and they've overlaid Wi-Fi signals on in a way that simulates a very long antenna.
For those unfamiliar MoCA, their technology enables users to pipe data transmissions through their home's existing cable TV wiring (aka coax cable) at speeds of up to 175 Mbps to experience multi-room DVR, PC to TV connectivity, and high-speed Internet gaming among other things.
I can't figure out why this is happening especially since the Tivo replaced a DVD Recorder with the exact same setup (the coax is the default input (chan 3), and the component cables go to the "video 1" input) and the volume difference was reversed ... it was louder with component and quieter with coax, just as you would expect it to be.
This past Tuesday, Senator Scott Brown (R-Mass.) made news after he sent around a strange fundraising email, which suggested that the "chairman of the state Democratic Party had apparently tried to reach out to" MSNBC host Rachel Maddow, and "coax" her into a run for the Senate seat he currently occupies.
But some have suggested the jewelry might have been held as leverage to kind of coax her into testifying against Chris Brown.
All three converter boxes will output only the basic TV resolution (480i) through an RF (or "coax") — the antenna input on the back of your TV set — or a composite-video connection ..
All three converter boxes will output only the basic TV resolution (480i) through an RF (or "coax")— the antenna input on the back of your TV set—or a composite-video connection..