from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Good-humored, playful conversation.
- transitive v. To speak to in a playful or teasing way.
- intransitive v. To exchange mildly teasing remarks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Good humoured, playful, typically spontaneous conversation.
- v. To engage in banter or playful conversation.
- v. To play or do something amusing.
- v. To tease mildly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of bantering; joking or jesting; humorous or good-humored raillery; pleasantry.
- transitive v. To address playful good-natured ridicule to, -- the person addressed, or something pertaining to him, being the subject of the jesting; to rally.
- transitive v. To jest about; to ridicule in speaking of, as some trait, habit, characteristic, and the like.
- transitive v. To delude or trick, -- esp. by way of jest.
- transitive v. To challenge or defy to a match.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To address good-humored raillery to; attack with jokes or jests; make fun of; rally.
- To impose upon or cheat, originally in a jesting or bantering way; bamboozle.
- To challenge; invite to a contest.
- n. A joking or jesting; good-humored ridicule or raillery; wit or humor; pleasantry.
- n. A challenge to a match or contest; the match or contest itself.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be silly or tease one another
- n. light teasing repartee
The combo of Adam Scott (previously), Ken Marino, Ryan Hansen, Lizzy Caplan, and Martin Starr positively slays me, and the banter is as weird and amazing as anything on 30 Rock.
I love being on a PSU, the banter is the best bit and getting petrol bombed once a year is sooo much fun.
But, frankly, I'd rather point out that having Spitzer and Parker sit so close together and trade sly banter is just plain creepy.
You bring good diversity to the BombCast because your opinions are varied and present a good contrast to what can sometimes be predictable banter from the guys.
I fully expect the POTUS to engage in banter with Palin every so often to elevate her standing.
I keep hearing all the "down with corporations" banter from the left wing idiots.
The scene was typical of any New York or Los Angeles opening: wine, cheese, and a crowd of fashionable art enthusiasts engaged in banter about the recent fairs and exhibitions they've seen.
The banter is fine and chuckle worthy and the jokes are the same.
I still choose not to be offended as insults are made by idiots who do not matter and banter is made by friends who do. on January 15, 2009 at 9: 40 pm | Reply D. Silberstein
When their banter is charged and substantive, the show shivers with organic, real emotional tension.