from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Jazz or swing music.
- n. The jargon of jazz musicians and enthusiasts.
- n. Slang Deceptive, nonsensical, or glib talk: "the sexist, locker-room jive of men boasting and bonding” ( Trip Gabriel).
- intransitive v. To play or dance to jive music.
- intransitive v. Slang To talk nonsense; kid.
- intransitive v. Slang To talk or chat: "You just jive in one big group, putting each other on, trying to top the last line” ( Time).
- transitive v. Slang To cajole or mislead.
- adj. Slang Misleading; phony.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To speak using a jibe or interconnected jibes.
- v. To deceive; to be deceptive.
- v. To dance.
- n. A dance style popular in the 1940–50s.
- n. Swing, a style of jazz music.
- n. A slang associated with jazz musicians; hepcat patois or hipster jargon.
- n. Nonsense; transparently deceptive talk.
- v. Alternative spelling of jibe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a style of jazz played by big bands popular in the 1930s; flowing rhythms but less complex than later styles of jazz.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a style of jazz played by big bands popular in the 1930s; flowing rhythms but less complex than later styles of jazz
- v. dance to jive music; dance the jive
Their gold, is our advanced/bronze class, i mean gold just learnt slingshot in jive and natural turn, though they do do this cool reverse natural top thing and something called a wiggle.
I don't regret having read them (although I hate when black jive is indicated through misspellings like "sho 'nuf").
The only way the Rockin’ Robin jive could have been worse is if they used the Megan Corkrey version from American Idol last year.
I remember a Hoagy Carmichael number, “Yabba Dabba Dabba Dabba Do,” Cab Calloway’s jumpin jive versions of Minnie the Moocher and Reefer Man, and Ry Cooder’s ‘Paris, Texas’ soundtrack (Bill Sr. liked this one so much he wanted it to be played at his wake, which it was).
The upbeat-ness of the jive could be a good one for Carson, especially since they've got Wham!
- Michael Bolton has told Bergeron it was "inappropriate and disrespectful" of Bruno to have told him his jive was the worst he's ever seen on the competition.
(AP) - Len and Bruno have fought - again - over Bruno's having told celebrity dancer Michael Bolton on Monday that his jive was the worst he'd seen in the show's history, and then given Bolton only three points for his effort.
The jive was my stronger dance because it was fun, kind of all American, a lot of energy and more music that I tend to like.
You know it, those so-called jive threatening letters, and you know it's a lie.
"Any connection that had with the jive was a coincidence," Goodman said.