from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An injury in which the skin is not broken; a bruise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wound, such as a bruise, in which the skin is not broken; often having broken blood vessels and discolouration
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of beating, bruising, or pounding; the state of being beaten or bruised.
- n. A bruise; an injury attended with more or less disorganization of the subcutaneous tissue and effusion of blood beneath the skin, but without apparent wound.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of beating and bruising, or the state of being bruised.
- n. The act of reducing to powder or fine particles by beating or pounding.
- n. In surgery, a bruise; a hurt or injury to the flesh or some part of the body without breach of integument or apparent wound, as one inflicted by a blunt instrument or by a fall.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration
- n. the action of bruising
Shanahan said he met with McNabb last Tuesday to discuss the quarterback's various injuries - sore hamstrings and a shin contusion among them - and asked McNabb whether he was healthy enouugh to play at Detroit.
C Gerald Laird (left shin contusion) was injured May 4, and he hasn't played since.
Edmonton LW and captain Ethan Moreau has yet to play this season because of a left ankle contusion from the preseason. ...
During the action General Meade received a slight contusion from a spent grapeshot, and had two horses killed under him.
Rookie Michael Beasley added 20 points for Miami and briefly left the game with what the Heat described as a left shin contusion.
Los Angeles also was short-handed, playing without center Chris Kaman, the league's third-leading rebounder at 13.9, who sat out with a left shin contusion.
He was later declared to have a left shoulder contusion, which is another word for a bruise.
The cause of death for all 20 victims was chest contusion, meaning they were crushed to death, said Hannelore Kraft, the state governor of North Rhine-Westphalia, where Duisburg is located.
Calvillo was suffering from a "contusion" on his sternum, the team said during a press conference Friday.
The working diagnosis at this point is a "contusion" to his thumb.