from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fortified place or a fortress.
- n. A place of survival or refuge: one of the last strongholds of an age-old tradition.
- n. An area dominated or occupied by a special group or distinguished by a special quality: a feminist stronghold; a stronghold of democracy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fortress
- n. A place of refuge, survival or domination by a particular group or idea
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fastness; a fort or fortress; fortfield place; a place of security.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fastness; a fort; a fortified place; a place or position of security: often used figuratively, and formerly as two words.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a strongly fortified defensive structure
But my biggest problem was with a stupid group of European holy men levitating inside some sacred Asian mountain stronghold, wearing what looked like cheap Buddhist robe knock-offs.
On successive days last week the world's major news outlets, including the New York Times and Washington Post, reported NATO-abetted talks with the Taliban elite and the routing of the Taliban from their main stronghold in Kandahar.
The gang's stronghold is in Lyari Town, an ancient and impoverished ethnic Baloch community near Karachi port and a constituency represented by the Pakistan Peoples party (PPP).
In the near future, nuclear Holy War has decimated North America and humanityâ€ ™ s last stronghold is the dome metropolis of New Vatican City.
Democrats saw support in their long-term stronghold of low earners, while Republicans - many of whom have espoused tax overhauls that would limit income taxes - saw more support at higher income levels.
This year, an all out war ensued between the Toldot Aharon Hassidic sect and the extremists whose stronghold is the Ohel Sarah Synagogue; blows were given and received on both sides.
Your Ultimate goal: to exterminate the alien robot stronghold from the enemy alien base and calim total controlÃ¢â ‚ ¬Â ¦
(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE) DAMON (voice-over): The city of Sarghoda has become known as a stronghold of radical Islamist groups, and now police here say they thwarted a major terror plot.
(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE) ARWA DAMON, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): The city of Sargodha has become known as a stronghold of radical Islamist groups.
DAMON: (voice-over): The city Sargodha has become known as a stronghold of radical Islamist groups.