from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of resting or the state of being at rest.
- n. Freedom from worry; peace of mind.
- n. Calmness; tranquillity.
- transitive v. To lay (oneself) down.
- transitive v. To rest or relax (oneself).
- intransitive v. To lie at rest.
- intransitive v. To lie dead: repose in a grave.
- intransitive v. To lie while being supported by something.
- transitive v. To place (trust, for example): reposed all his hopes in the new cure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. rest, sleep
- n. quietness, ease; peace, calmness
- n. period between eruptions of a volcano.
- v. To lay, to set down.
- v. To confide or entrust to someone.
- v. To reside in something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cause to stop or to rest after motion; hence, to deposit; to lay down; to lodge; to reposit.
- transitive v. To lay at rest; to cause to be calm or quiet; to compose; to rest, -- often reflexive.
- transitive v. To place, have, or rest; to set; to intrust.
- intransitive v. To lie at rest; to rest.
- intransitive v. Figuratively, to remain or abide restfully without anxiety or alarms.
- intransitive v. To lie; to be supported; as, trap reposing on sand.
- n. A lying at rest; sleep; rest; quiet.
- n. Rest of mind; tranquillity; freedom from uneasiness; also, a composed manner or deportment.
- n. A rest; a pause.
- n. That harmony or moderation which affords rest for the eye; -- opposed to the scattering and division of a subject into too many unconnected parts, and also to anything which is overstrained.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lay (a thing) at rest; lay by; lay up; deposit.
- To lay at rest; refresh by rest: with reference to a person, and often used reflexively.
- To cause to be calm or quiet; tranquilize; compose.
- To lay, place, or rest, as confidence or trust.
- To lie or be at rest; take rest; sleep.
- To rest in confidence; rely: followed by on or upon.
- Synonyms To recline, settle, slumber. See rest, intransitive verb
- n. The act or state of reposing; inaction; a lying at rest; sleep; rest.
- n. Freedom from disturbance of any kind; tranquillity.
- n. Settled composure; natural or habitual dignity and calmness of manner and action.
- n. Cause of rest; that which gives repose; a rest; a pause.
- n. In a work of art, dependence for effect entirely upon inherent excellence, all meretricious effect of gaudiness of color or exaggeration of attitude being avoided; a general moderation or restraint of color and treatment; an avoidance of obtrusive tints and of violent action.
- n. =Syn. 1–3. Quiet, Tranquillity, etc. (see rest), quietness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility)
- n. the absence of mental stress or anxiety
- v. put in a horizontal position
- v. lean in a comfortable resting position
- v. put or confide something in a person or thing
- v. lie when dead
- v. to put something (eg trust) in something
- n. a disposition free from stress or emotion
- v. be inherent or innate in
The long list of occupations which you call 'repose' is enough to wear out any constitution, even one which is so admirably knit as yours.
She never talked of herself, so that it were well to let it go down that when in repose, expurgated, Greek she certainly was.
He was not a big man, but his voice boomed, and his hands were meaty, and in repose there was something august about his heavy midwestern features: pale blue eyes that, in the absence of hopefulness, might have looked severe; prominent, straight nose and heavy jowls that, in the absence of mirth, might have seemed imperious and disapproving.
Anything that interrupts a matinal sabbath repose is bound to stir things up.
As a consequence, star gazing could be a great repose from a busy life.
Kennedy to lie in repose in Boston, be buried at Arlington
(CNN) - Three sources close to the Kennedy family say Sen. Ted Kennedy will lie in repose at the John F. Kennedy presidential library in Boston.
Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - Kennedy to lie in repose in Boston, be buried at Arlington « - Blogs from CNN. com
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Kennedy to lie in repose in Boston, be buried at Arlington « - Blogs from CNN. com
Kennedy's body will lie in repose through Friday at the library.