from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- intransitive verb To separate into components or basic elements.
- intransitive verb To cause to rot.
- intransitive verb To become broken down into components; disintegrate.
- intransitive verb To decay; rot or putrefy. synonym: decay.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To separate into its constituent parts; resolve into its original elements; specifically, to reduce (an organic body) to a state of dissolution by a process of natural decay.
- To become resolved into constituent elements; specifically, to decay; rot; putrefy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To separate the constituent parts of; to resolve into original elements; to set free from previously existing forms of chemical combination; to bring to dissolution; to rot or decay.
- intransitive verb To become resolved or returned from existing combinations; to undergo dissolution; to decay; to rot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb transitive to
separateor break downsomething into its components; to disintegrateor fragment
- verb intransitive to
rot, decayor putrefy
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb lose a stored charge, magnetic flux, or current
- verb break down
- verb separate (substances) into constituent elements or parts
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.