from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A high mountain.
- n. A very large mound or mass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A very high mountain. Specifically, one of the Alps, the highest chain of mountains in Europe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A very high mountain. Specifically, in the plural, the highest chain of mountains in Europe, containing the lofty mountains of Switzerland, etc.
- n. Fig.: Something lofty, or massive, or very hard to be surmounted.
- n. A bullfinch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An old local name for the bullfinch, Pyrrhula vulgaris.
- n. A high mountain; specifically, any one of the higher Swiss mountains, and, as a proper name in the plural, the great mountain-ranges in Switzerland and neighboring countries, comprising the loftiest mountains in Europe.
- n. In Switzerland, a pasture on the side of a mountain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any high mountain
Alpion; because the word alp, in some of the original western languages, generally signifies very high lands, or hills; as this isle appears to those who approach it from the Continent.
Angling upward to a point, like a child's drawing of an alp, it is not quite a high-rise.
Congrats Chris. ahmet alp balkan said at 1am on Jan 8th # |
Sitting on a shelf, Thomas Mann's "Magic Mountain" stares down as coldly and harshly as an alp in winter.
Those seven summers worth of tedious work sit "wie ein alp" as a certain philosopher once said on my memory.
March 25th, 2010 at 2:40 pm i wish i could ask alp questions..
Just as the funders for alp includes unions supporting hillary.
I'm fairly certain snob was referencing the idiocy of "alp duez" by comparing him to an Egyptian president.
It's not like I'd be giving reports about this or that alp, or playing domestique on some tour de coolness.
You know you see those pictures of Lance Armstrong or Alberto Contador finishing an 80 mile stage straight up an alp and they look cool and collected?