from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tropical American evergreen shrub or small tree (Bixa orellana), having heart-shaped leaves and showy, rose-pink or sometimes white flowers. Also called lipstick tree.
- n. The seed of this plant, used as a coloring and sometimes as a flavoring, especially in Latin American cuisine.
- n. A yellowish-red dyestuff obtained from the seed aril of this plant, used especially to dye fabric and to color food products such as margarine and cheese.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tropical American evergreen shrub, Bixa orellana; the lipstick tree.
- n. The seed of this tree used as a colouring or in Latin American cooking.
- n. An orange-red dye obtained from this seed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as arnotto.
Best known as annatto, it's an inexpensive food coloring, grown commercially around the world, that gives products like Kraft Macaroni & Cheese an orange hue.
John Lyons/The Wall Street Journal Images of Yawanawá Indians in grass skirts can help Aveda sell its popular Uruku line of lipsticks, eye shadows and facial bronzers, which use urukum, more commonly known as annatto, for body paint.
Today, these seeds are used as a dye called annatto that colors everything from butter to salad oils.
You can also check product ingredient lists for beet, carotenes, annatto, capsanthin (a paprika extract) -- as all are natural colorants.
However, as consumers show a growing preference for natural foods and for foods free of colorings, companies respond by omitting colors or switching to safe, natural colorings, such as beta-carotene, turmeric, paprika, beet juice, and annatto.
Substitutes: ground turmeric OR saffron (much more expensive, and more flavorful) OR Steep annatto seeds in boiling water for 20 minutes, then discard the seeds.foodsubs. com
The Menu Dictionary in the 2009 Restaurant Guide tells us pescado is fish and achiote is traditional seasoning paste made from red annatto seeds (known as achioite) ground with lime juice and other spices ….
Pork is wrapped in banana leaves, seasoned with ground annatto seeds or achiote, and roasted overnight in an underground oven, called a pib.
Pork is wrapped in banana leaves, seasoned with ground annatto seeds or achiote, and roasted overnight in an underground oven, called a pib. The oven gives cochinita pipil its name. © Jane Ammeson, 2009
An Aveda spokesman says the goal of the annatto project has always been sustainability and sharing the benefits.
In 2008, new "Uruku" line cardboard packaging had Yawanawá designs and a claim that the tribe harvests annatto "for use in our makeup."