from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various extinct primates, such as pithecanthropus, sometimes considered intermediate in evolution between the anthropoid apes and modern humans. Not in scientific usage.
- n. A person or creature held to combine characteristics of apes and humans, as:
- n. A brawny or brutish man.
- n. An archetype of the primitive or instinctual aspect of human nature: "The superman has created the airplane and the radio, the ape-man has got hold of them” ( Los Angeles Times).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given to a hypothetical ape-like man, or speechless primitive man, intermediate in character between the highest anthropoid apes and human beings, and conjectured by Haeckel to have been the progenitor of the human race.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hypothetical organism formerly thought to be intermediate between apes and human beings
- n. a person assumed to have been raised by apes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Bush doesn't go to the competition which has been decorated as monkeys as well as apes for centuries. my HS biology teacher who was the clever disciple of expansion caused people tend to hold in expansion as he looked really most similar to an ape-man.
Unlike other reports, this Alma is a rougher, hairier human-like creature than an ape-man.
The way this monster is represented is not so much as an ape-man, but more animal-like.
Skill with weapons has been highly prized since the first ape-man picked up a stick and brained another ape-man with it.
All the whole human drift, from the first ape-man to the last savant, is but a phantom, a flash of light and a flutter of movement across the infinite face of the starry night.
Sam Lipsyte's third novel, The Ask, is a dark and jaded beast — the sort of book that, if it were an animal, would be a lumbering, hairy, cryptozoological ape-man with a near-crippling case of elephantiasis.
I didn't need this ape-man to lose control of his finger.
Of course all that Peking ape-man stuff vanished without a trace, like we knew it would, but that's a different story.
To my horror, they also remove the hair on my arms in the big gatefold center photo, because they think my hairy ape-man arms will scare the little girls.
Maybe it's the genetically altered 'ape-man' as portrayed in the movie Quatermass and the Pit!