from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Anatomy Of or relating to a delicate membrane enclosing the spinal cord and brain.
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling arachnids.
- adj. Covered with or consisting of thin, soft, entangled hairs or fibers resembling those of a cobweb or spider's web.
- n. See arachnid.
- n. Anatomy A delicate membrane that encloses the spinal cord and brain and lies between the pia mater and dura mater.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to spiders.
- adj. Relating to or resembling spider webs.
- adj. Relating to the arachnoid mater, the middle layer of the meninges, the three membranes that protect the brain.
- n. An arachnid
- n. The arachnoid mater, the middle layer of the meninges, the three membranes that protect the brain
- n. A round network of fractures in the crust of Venus
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resembling a spider's web; cobweblike.
- adj. Pertaining to a thin membrane of the brain and spinal cord, between the dura mater and pia mater.
- adj. Covered with, or composed of, soft, loose hairs or fibers, so as to resemble a cobweb; cobwebby.
- n. The arachnoid membrane.
- n. One of the Arachnoidea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the Arachnida; arachnidan.
- Like or likened to a cobweb: applied, in anatomy— to the arachnoid of the brain (see II.);
- to the hyaloid membrane or arachnoid of the eye (see II.).
- n. A kind of fossil madrepore.
- n. In anatomy, the serous membrane enveloping the brain and spinal cord; the middle one of the three cerebrospinal meninges, between the dura mater and the pia mater.
- n. An old and disused name of the hyaline or hyaloid membrane within the eyeball, especially of that portion of it which contributes to form the capsule of the crystalline lens.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. air-breathing arthropods characterized by simple eyes and four pairs of legs
- n. the middle of the 3 meninges
- adj. relating to or resembling a member of the class Arachnida
The inflammation results in thickening of the middle membrane, called the arachnoid, causing it to adhere to structures near it.
In the arachnoid membrane are small areas called arachnoid villi (vil'eye; "tufts of hair" L, so named because they have the appearance of tiny tufts).
Finally, within the spaces of the arachnoid is a lymph-like liquid which completely envelops the brain and the cord, and which, by serving as a watery cushion, protects them from jars and shocks.
The arachnoid is a thin membrane which lies beneath the dura mater.
The ArachnoidThe arachnoid is a delicate membrane enveloping the brain and medulla spinalis and lying between the pia mater internally and the dura mater externally; it is separated from the pia mater by the subarachnoid cavity, which is filled with cerebrospinal fluid.
The Spinal Part (arachnoidea spinalis) of the arachnoid is a thin, delicate, tubular membrane loosely investing the medulla spinalis.
The arachnoid is a thin, transparent sheath, separated from the pia mater by a comparatively wide interval, the subarachnoid cavity, which is filled with cerebrospinal fluid.
It’s blood pooling between the dura that covers the brain and the arachnoid, which is the middle layer of the meninges.
Just now, as he watched his sister pirouette in and out of frame, a little brown arachnoid was spinning the finishing touches on a window-spanner.
Last month, Sports Illustrated chronicled Meyer's coaching career and reported that he suffered from persistent headaches caused by an arachnoid cyst that becomes inflamed by stress, rage and excitement.