from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The width-to-height ratio of a film or television image.
- n. The span-to-mean-chord ratio of an airfoil.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ratio of an object's longest dimension to its next-longest dimension.
- n. The ratio of width to height in a flat surface or 2-dimensional abstract construction, such as an image, character, or pixel. 4:3 (or 1.33:1) is the standard ratio for NTSC video. 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 are the most common aspect ratios for motion pictures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The ratio of the long to the short side of an aëroplane, aërocurve, or wing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ratio of the width to the height of a tv picture
aspect + ratio (Wiktionary)
The aspect ratio 16:9 was decided upon, compatible with widescreen movies shot in CinemaScope, Panavision or other anamorphic squeezed by the camera lens, then unsqueezed by the projector lens systems.