from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To pronounce with a hissing sound; make sibilant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To change into or pronounce with the accompaniment of a sibilant sound or sounds.
- v. To change by assibilation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make sibilant; to change to a sibilant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To render sibilant, as a sound; change into a sibilant or hissing sound; alter, as a sound, by the phonetic process called assibilation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. insert a sibilant sound before or after (another sound)
- v. change into a sibilant
(Lat. e, oe, ae) and i the c had already begun to assibilate in Latin itself; in O.Sp. it yielded the voiceless dental sibilant c