from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Inability to stand because of motor incoordination.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A genus of eustomatous flagellate infusorians, typical of the family Astasiidæ, having a distinct tubular pharynx. It contains such species as A. trichophora, found in marsh-water.
- noun [lowercase] Inability to stand in consequence of defective muscular action, which is not necessarily in coördination or paralysis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun medicine Inability to
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun inability to stand due to muscular incoordination
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
From this same standpoint I have studied another case, a married woman of twenty-nine, with marked neurasthenic and hysterical symptoms (including astasia-abasia, anesthesias, palpitation of the heart, throbbing sensations in the stomach and a great many other symptoms).