from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. worship of oneself
- n. belief that one is a deity
- n. belief that one is possessed by a greater power
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doctrine of God's self-existence.
- n. Deification of one's self; self-worship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The doctrine of the self-existence of God; specifically, the ascription of self-existence to the second person of the Trinity.
- n. Assumption of divine powers; self-deification; excessive self-esteem. Nineteenth Century.
Greek: autos: self and theos: god (Wiktionary)
The last legend of Hugo's imagination was the Hugo legend: if theism was his faith, autotheism was his superstition.