from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In a bad manner.
- adv. Very much; greatly. See Usage Note at bad1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. ill, unwell
- adv. In a bad manner.
- adv. Very much; to a great degree.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a bad manner; poorly; not well; unskillfully; imperfectly; unfortunately; grievously; so as to cause harm; disagreeably; seriously.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a bad manner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. very much; strongly
- adv. (`ill' is often used as a combining form) in a poor or improper or unsatisfactory manner; not well
- adv. in a disobedient or naughty way
- adv. evilly or wickedly
- adv. unfavorably or with disapproval
- adv. to a severe or serious degree
- adv. with great intensity (`bad' is a nonstandard variant for `badly')
- adv. without skill or in a displeasing manner
- adv. in a disadvantageous way; to someone's disadvantage
- adv. with unusual distress or resentment or regret or emotional display
She repeated her criticism of Myanmar's handling of the cyclone aftermath and its stated reform plans, which she called badly out of step.
Swazi nation is on the verge of political collapse because of what he described as a badly designed system of government.
You see, I have several daughters; I hate the idea that any of the young women in my life might participate in this sort of monkey business with someone like your husband, who seems to think that behaving badly is all right as long as everyone else does it.
I suppose the analogy is that nothing but weeds will grow in badly prepared soil.
Buyers have higher hopes for Russia's next crop than they did a month ago, when the Black Sea region was hurting badly from the drought.
He was tortured badly, is suffering from Hepatitis B, and is being denied medical attention.
The Americans again badly missed their Europe-based starters, who also weren't used in the 3-1 loss to Honduras on Jan. 23.
But that CRU mishandled their public relations so badly is quite revealing as to the preparation of the entrance of the institutions into brave new webbed world.
And that another New Orleanian, the actor Wendell Pierce, has established a nonprofit with plans to build hundreds of environmentally friendly homes in badly flooded Pontchartrain Park, where he grew up.
The worst film I sawin 2008 wasThe Other Boleyn Girl, if only because the book (not even the kind of book I generally read) isfreaking fantastic, and how you can screw that upso badly is beyond me.