from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A protecting ruffle or frill, as of silk or lace, sewed close to the lower edge of a skirt on the inside.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A strip of plaited muslin or lace placed inside of the bottom of women's dresses to protect them from the floor.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • -- like the _balayeuse_ at the bottom of a lady's dress; but, like the _balayeuse_, it is only meant to be a protection and



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Favorited!

    November 30, 2010