from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a filmy, translucent crust found in port and other old wines which have been bottled-aged for a long time

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The second crust formed in port and some other wines after long keeping. It consists of pure, shining scales of tartar, supposed to resemble the wing of a bee.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A gauzy film in port and some other wines, indicative of age; hence, sometimes, the wine itself. Also written bee's-wing.


From bee + ’s + wing. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • See also The Bee's Wing, a traditional Northumbrian-style hornpipe melody.

    February 13, 2010

  • Interesting! I never realized this was used to describe a "film" that develops on certain types of wine.

    January 27, 2010

  • "... two wine goblets sat on the bench, stained red with beeswing, abandoned remnants of the night's festivities."
    —Diana Gabaldon, The Fiery Cross (NY: Bantam Dell, 2001), 735

    January 26, 2010