from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To permit; allow; suffer.
- v. To grant, vouchsafe (something to someone); accord; give.
- v. To bestow; afford; allow; deign.
- v. To bring forth; produce; shed.
- v. To pour all about.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To give ; to bestow; to grant; to accord; to consent.
- transitive v. To allow; to permit; to suffer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bring forth; produce; shed.
- To allow; permit; suffer.
- To vouchsafe; accord; give.
He would not 'beteem the winds of heaven' to 'Visit her face too roughly', Hamlet recalls.