from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The illegal business of buying or selling currency or goods banned by a government or subject to governmental control, such as price controls or rationing.
- noun A place where such illegal business is carried on.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun the illicit buying and selling of goods, in violation of price controls, rationing, tax laws, prohibition of sale, etc.
- noun a place where such illegal commerce is conducted, or the entire system of such illicit commerce considered as a whole.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
tradethat is in violationof restrictions, rationingor price controls
- noun the people who engage in such trade (considered as a group), or that
sectorof the economy
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun people who engage in illicit trade
- verb deal in illegally, such as arms or liquor
- noun an illegal market in which goods or currencies are bought and sold in violation of rationing or controls
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.