from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various perennial herbs of the genus Dicentra, especially the Old World D. spectabilis, having arching clusters of pink to red or sometimes white, heart-shaped flowers.
- n. A person who is considered excessively sympathetic toward those who claim to be underprivileged or exploited.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various perennial plants, of the genus Dicentra, having pink heart-shaped flowers
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. garden plant having deep-pink drooping heart-shaped flowers
- n. someone who is excessively sympathetic toward those who claim to be exploited or underprivileged
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Gabrielle Ashe was black, but her tawny coloring was more of a deep cinnamon or mahogany, the kind of comfortable in-between that Sexton knew bleeding heart "whites" could endorse without feeling like they were giving away the farm.
Somehow this would make a great show ... two of the city’s leading citizens missing, one a wealthy do-anything-for-a-buck industrialist, the other a bleeding heart who helped the downtrodden ... yeah, oh, man, yeah.