from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Red and inflamed as a result of locally congested blood vessels: bloodshot eyes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. reddened and inflamed because of congested blood vessels
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Red and inflamed; suffused with blood, or having the vessels turgid with blood, as when the conjunctiva is inflamed or irritated.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Red and inflamed by a turgid state of the blood-vessels, as in certain weak or excited states: said of the eye.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of an eye) reddened as a result of locally congested blood vessels; inflamed
In retrospect, she can see the telltale signs such as bloodshot eyes and headaches.
I put the "eye candy" on top of that and then used a store-bought gel decorator frosting to do the "bloodshot" effect.
Inflammation of this membrane is more commonly limited to that portion covering the inner surfaces of the lids, but may extend to the eyeball when the eye becomes "bloodshot" and the condition more serious.
Its effect upon the capillaries is shown by the "bloodshot" eye and the "red nose" of the hard drinker.
Police Chief Paul Ciesielski said that Bisard was sobbing when police got to the scene, and that might have camouflaged telltale drunken-driving signs such as bloodshot eyes.
When authorities spoke to Caselli, he showed signs of intoxication, such as bloodshot and watery eyes, slurred speech and smelled of alcohol, police said.
The right kind of bloodshot eyes, like on a Friday night after you've been out socializing, "said Dolph Pulliam, the master of ceremonies for the event.
"I am not from here," said the 70-year-old rice farmer, as his bloodshot eyes tried to measure whether his boxy white truck could make it through the knee-deep water.
They say he smelled of alcohol, his eyes were watery and bloodshot and his speech slurred.
Dave looked at Kathryn, his deep blue eyes bloodshot with fatigue and grief and worry.