from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A metal tube in which a flow of gas is mixed with a controlled flow of air to concentrate the heat of a flame, used especially in the identification of minerals.
  • n. See blowgun.
  • n. A long, narrow iron pipe used to gather, work, and blow molten glass.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a narrow tube through which a jet of air is directed onto a flame; used in the analysis of minerals etc and in jewelry manufacture
  • n. a weapon through which darts may be shot by blowing; a blowgun
  • n. a long narrow pipe, rotated in the hands, upon which glassware is blown

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A tube for directing a jet of air into a fire or into the flame of a lamp or candle, so as to concentrate the heat on some object.
  • n. A blowgun; a blowtube.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An instrument by which a current of air or gas is driven through the flame of a lamp, candle, or gas-jet, to direct the flame upon a substance, in order to fuse it, an intense heat being created by the rapid supply of oxygen and the concentration of the flame upon a small area.
  • n. Same as blow-gun.
  • Relating in any way to a blowpipe, or to blowpiping: as, blowpipe analysis.
  • To use the blowpipe; conduct chemical experiments or perform mechanical operations by means of the blowpipe.
  • n. A blast-pipe or blower-pipe; hence the steam-pipe for a steam-blast.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a tube that directs air or gas into a flame to concentrate heat
  • n. a tube through which darts can be shot by blowing


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • In glassmaking, an iron or steel tube, usually 4 to 5 feet long, for blowing glass. Blowpipes have a mouthpiece at one end and are usually fitted at the other end with a metal ring that helps to retain the gather.

    November 9, 2007