from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A broad, flat Scottish cap of blue woolen, or one wearing such cap; a Scotchman.
- n. A plant. Same as Bluebottle.
- n. The European blue titmouse (Parus cœruleus); the bluecap.
- n. See in the Vocabulary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name for the blue titmouse, Parus cœruleus. Also called bluecap.
- n. In botany, same as bluebottle
- n. A name given to the soldiery of Scotland when it was a separate kingdom, from the color of their bonnets; also, any Scotchman: generally as two words. Also bluecap.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. low-growing annual herb of southwestern United States (Texas) having silky foliage and blue flowers; a leading cause of livestock poisoning in the southwestern United States
- n. a brimless dark blue Scottish cap with a flat top and a plume on one side
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Miss Terwilliger leaned heavily on her cane, but the girl stood straight and tall, wearing a fetching blue bonnet and frock.