from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large boa (Boa constrictor) of tropical America that has brown markings and kills its prey by constriction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large tropical American snake, Boa constrictor, that kills its prey by squeezing them
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A large and powerful serpent of tropical America, sometimes twenty or thirty feet long. See Illustration in Appendix.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name popularly applied to any large serpent of the family Boidæ or Pythonidæ: same as boa, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. very large boa of tropical America and West Indies
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I accidentally set a boa constrictor on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once-long story-but it was telling me it had never seen Brazil and I sort of set it free without meaning to that was before I knew I was a wizard - "