from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A pole with a metal point and hook at one end used especially to maneuver logs, rafts, and boats.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. an iron hook with a point on the back, fixed to a long pole, to pull or push a boat, raft, log, etc.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A brass or iron hook and spike fixed to a staff or pole, used for pulling or pushing a boat. Also called gaff-setter, setting-pole, pole-hook, and hitcher.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. pole-handled hook used to pull or push boats


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • Batist and I scrubbed down the spool tables, popped opened the umbrellas above them, picked up beer cans and bait cups from the boat ramp, and used a boat hook to gather floating trash from the pilings under the dock.

    Jolie Blon’s Bounce

  • He dropped the foresail and set up his topping lift, then with the boat hook in his hand he turned and hailed us as they drifted slowly close.

    Movie Night


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.