from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The parasitic larva of a botfly.
- n. A disease of mammals, especially cattle and horses, caused by infestation of the stomach or intestines with botfly larvae.
- n. A software program that imitates the behavior of a human, as by querying search engines or participating in chatroom or IRC discussions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The larva of a bot fly, which infests the skin of various mammals, producing warbles, or the nasal passage of sheep, or the stomach of horses.
- n. A physical robot.
- n. A piece of software designed to complete a minor but repetitive task automatically or on command, especially when operating with the appearance of a (human) user profile or account.
- n. A computer controlled character in a multiplayer video game, such as a first-person shooter.
- v. To bugger
- v. To ask for and be given something with the direct intention of exploiting that thing’s usefulness, almost exclusively with cigarettes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See bots.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A Middle English form of but.
- n. A name given to the larva or maggot of several species of gadfly when found in the intestines of horses, under the hides of oxen, in the nostrils of sheep, etc.
- n. The Anglo-Saxon form (bōt) of boot, a fine, etc.: only in historical use.
- n. An obsolete preterit of bite.
- n. The English Board of Trade unit of electrical supply.
- n. A dialectal form of bat in various senses. Also spelled bott.
- n. In founding, a clay plug used to close a hole against molten iron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. botfly larva; typically develops inside the body of a horse or sheep or human
We thought this sounded a little scarier than it really is, and that a little more detail might help. bot is short for robot.
Howlin 'Mary -- that's what we called the bot --- on the wind, and the other bot did the same, both of us makin' for the same spot.
The search bot is a web page which only requires refreshing the page to (re) search. typologies of intellectual property -- An interactive visualization of intellectual property.
The only redeeming feature about this bot is that he merges to form a giant gestalt killing machine.
This unapologetically unwavering O-bot is a small “i” independent so I tend to refer to the extremes on both sides as “far”.
• Big Dog, the military pack-bot, is back for more creepy robot ballet.
Fold-a-bot is the latest papercraft from Marshall Alexander.
This massive bot is a fan favorite among many for his combined destructive power and enormous size.
The hashtags bot is basically a glorified XMPP client.
While bot fought bot from the Ones to the Nines, the Tens enjoyed an idyllic splendor resting in the comfort of their nanoparadiseâ€ out of the reach of all the chaos.