from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A piece of furniture, such as a cabinet or a bookcase, with a central section that projects beyond the sections to either side.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Any piece of furniture that has a central section that projects farther forward than the other sections.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • For 19-odd years, it had never occurred to me to question why the hell we were calling a breakfront a bilgray.

    How The West Was Spun

  • The decorative tins piled higher and higher on our breakfront as the days of advent wore on.

    Christina Pirello: Discovering the Christmas Spirit

  • The candy drawer was the upper right drawer of a wooden breakfront, located in a study off the living room.

    Chicken Soup for the Soul: Grandmothers

  • Among them: an autographed photo of golfer Arnold Palmer, oil paintings, Limoges porcelain dishes, Baccarat crystal stemware, light fixtures, fur coats, a custom-made breakfront cabinet, brass platters and Southwestern pottery.

    Turning Others' Junk Into Treasure for Local Charities

  • Wagner's 1890 mahogany collector's cabinet combines the profile of an 18th-century breakfront with inset panels of Japanese cloisonné that evoke 1880s English Aestheticism.

    Modernism's Austrian Rebels

  • He then deliberately concealed them under a silver Kiddush cup in the breakfront.

    The Last Lion

  • In case you do not know a finial is: a decorative, terminal part at the tip of a spire, gable, lamp shade support, etc., or projecting upward from the top of a cabinet, breakfront, etc. Thanks, shoe


  • The Whalens had an immaculate, never-used dining room, its breakfront filled with perfectly nested china and crystal wineglasses lined up like cadets.

    Tom Grimes's "The Leash": Narrative Magazine's Friday Feature

  • It guides you, like a legality, like your own breathing, in and out of overtone, hardcore hodgepodges, those inklings near sacrosanct beyond breakfront negligees and neo-negligence leading the good life.


  • She moved with surprisingly small, quick steps through the living room, through two sets of open double doors that enclosed a small formal dining room, and on into the kitchen—much farther than Olivia had gotten all last week, and so quickly that Olivia barely had time to notice anything about the dining room besides a heavy mahogany table and matching breakfront.

    Starting from Scratch


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.