from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various wingless insects of the order Thysanura, such as the silverfish, having bristlelike posterior appendages.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various small active insects of the order Thysanura, that have two or three bristles at the end of their abdomen and that do not have wings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An insect of the genera Lepisma, Campodea, etc., belonging to the Thysanura.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common name of the thysanurous insects of the suborder Cinura: so called from the long filiform abdominal appendages. They are of the genera Campodea, Lepisma, etc. See cut under Campodea.
- n. One of the many names borne by the ruddy duck, Erismatura rubida, given on account of the stiff tail-feathers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small wingless insect with a long bristlelike tail
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.