Sorry, no definitions found. Check out and contribute to the discussion of this word!


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "... a large piece of pieces of timber bolted together, making one solid piece, which is placed under the bulge of a ship, to support her when launching. The support for the bulgeways to lie on, is called ways, which sometimes are placed straight, and sometimes camber; but if they do camber, it should be truly circular; though sometimes the curve is quicker at the lower-part, but this is liable to strain the sheer of the ship. Their extreme distance is generally about one-third the breadth of the ship, but this must depend on the form of the midship-bend."

    Falconer's New Universal Dictionary of the Marine (1816), 59

    See also bulgeways.

    October 13, 2008