from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Having a puckered or blistered appearance: bullate leaves.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Resembling a bulla or blister; inflated; blistered; bulliform.
  • adj. Of bacterial cultures, having a a growth which is blistered; rising in convex prominences.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Appearing as if blistered; inflated; puckered.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • In botany, having elevations like blisters.
  • In pathology, blistered.
  • In anatomy, inflated; vaulted; ventricous; fornicated and with thin walls: as, a bullate tympanic bone (that is, one forming a bulla ossea).
  • In zoology, having the surface covered with irregular and slight elevations, giving a blistered appearance.
  • To bubble or boil.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. of leaves; appearing puckered as if blistered


Latin bullātus, from bulla, bubble.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • having a puckered or blistered appearance

    June 12, 2007