from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A freshwater food fish (Lota lota) of the Northern Hemisphere, related to and resembling the cod and having barbels on the nose and chin. Also called cusk, eelpout.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A freshwater fish, taxonomic name Lota lota, similar to the ling and the cusk, which spawns in the winter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fresh-water fish of the genus Lota, having on the nose two very small barbels, and a larger one on the chin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the family Gadidæ, Lota maculosa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. elongate freshwater cod of northern Europe and Asia and North America having barbels around its mouth
Again, there lingers in the Cam, and a few other rivers of north - eastern Europe, that curious fish the eel-pout or 'burbot' (Molva lota).
Rough Fish burbot eel eelpout festival lake lawyer leech ling minnesota
Yes | No | Report from Northern Coyote wrote 1 year 1 week ago sheepshead, chubs, carp, burbot & bowfin and of course the local favorite, suckers
Instead of freeing slimy sculpin from predation, the population of burbot rapidly expanded and burbot became an effective predator, restricting slimy sculpin to rocky littoral habitats, and allowing the density of its prey, chironomid larvae, to remain high.
For example, opossum shrimps (Mysis relicta) were introduced into dammed lakes in the mountains of Sweden and Norway by electric companies to enhance prey for burbot (Lota lota) and brown trout (Salmo trutta).
Fish species are lake trout, Arctic grayling, round whitefish (Prosopium cylindraceum), burbot, and slimy sculpin (Cottus cognatus), which feed on benthic chironomid larvae and snails, the latter controlling epilithic algae in the lake.
There is evidence that the color, size, and firmness of livers and flesh in some species is affected by nutritional state, for example, burbot (Lota lota) livers appear to be affected by fat content and presumably nutritional state .
I used the most SFnal picture I have – a closeup of a burbot.
This month entering its 25th year, the festival celebrates a fish of many names -- burbot, eelpout, pout, ling -- a freshwater cod that breeds beneath the ice and feeds most willingly after dark.
The dogfish can be either and eelpout/burbot a freshwater cod or a bowfin.