from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A tenure in England and Scotland under which property of the king or a lord in a town was held in return for a yearly rent or the rendering of a service.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A plate having perforations which serve as standards for the diameters of drills, etc.
  • noun In law: In England, a tenure in socage, whereby burgesses, citizens, or townsmen hold their lands or tenements of the king or other lord for a certain yearly rent.
  • noun In Scotland, that tenure by which the property in royal burghs is held under the crown, proprietors being liable to the (nominal) service of watching and warding; or, as it is commonly termed, “service of burgh, used and wont.” The property so held.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Eng. Law) A tenure by which houses or lands are held of the king or other lord of a borough or city; at a certain yearly rent, or by services relating to trade or handicraft.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun a medieval tenure in socage under which property in England and Scotland was held under the king or a lord of a town, and was maintained for a yearly rent or for rendering an inferior service (not knight's service) such as watching and warding.


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Middle English, from Old French bourgage, from Medieval Latin burgāgium, from Late Latin burgus, fortified town, of Germanic origin; see burgess.]


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word burgage.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Often found between bunnage.

    December 18, 2009