from The Century Dictionary.
- To furnish with a by-pass.
- noun An extra gas-pipe passing around a valve or gas-chamber, used to prevent a complete stoppage of the flow of gas when the valve or chamber is closed.
- noun In wash-bottles and similar apparatus for the handling of gases, a tube with a stop-cock connecting the ingress and egress tubes, so that by opening the stopcock the gas may pass without flowing through the apparatus itself.
- noun Any passage for conducting around an obstruction, such as a closed valve, a part of the fluid or material which goes through the main channel.
- To permit (a liquid) to flow through an auxiliary channel, around a valve or a cylinder or back into a reservoir, instead of pursuing the usual or direct course through the main or normal channel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Mech.) A by-passage, for a pipe, or other channel, to divert circulation from the usual course.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb avoid something unpleasant or laborious
- noun a highway that encircles an urban area so that traffic does not have to pass through the center
- noun a conductor having low resistance in parallel with another device to divert a fraction of the current
- noun a surgically created shunt (usually around a damaged part)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If someone drives straight through and does not take the long detour loop on what is being called the truck by-pass, you do not pass through Frontera.
I too hate going through Monclova, especially the by-pass around the city because of the corrupt transit police.
Carlos Salinas de Gotari (thetruck by-pass) to get from one end of Monclova to another, but you learn something everyday.
I personally know several RVers who have been stopped on the by-pass and I was recently talking to Terri Church (of Mike and Terri Church fame) about their experiece on being stopped on the by-pass.
The reason why RVers take the by-pass is that they find it easier than taking a large motorhome with a tow vehicle through city streets.
My dad survived cancer, quadruple by-pass surgery, and now he is struggling with congestive heart failure.
Maybe the Fed should be allowed to by-pass the GOP game playing, that way we'll get something done.
I suspect you would had to have had a humour by-pass not to enjoy it.
She refused to believe that female Lib Dems present at a meeting were shoved and jostled by a Green activist and she didn't believe that a senior Norwich Green sent an abusive letter to my father some years ago because of his support for the Norwich Northern by-pass.
Although the by-pass may not be completely in Monclova, we've been stopped by transit police near both ends and in the middle.