from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To ride across.
- transitive v. To ride beyond.
- transitive v. To trample on.
- transitive v. To ride (a horse) too hard.
- transitive v. To prevail over; conquer: Budgetary concerns overrode all other considerations.
- transitive v. To declare null and void; set aside: overrode the President's veto.
- transitive v. To counteract the normal operation of (an automatic control).
- transitive v. To extend over; overlap.
- n. A sales commission collected by an executive in addition to the commission received by a subordinate salesperson.
- n. See royalty.
- n. A mechanism or system used to counteract an automatic control.
- n. The act or an instance of nullifying.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To ride across or beyond something.
- v. To ride a horse too hard.
- v. To counteract the normal operation of something.
- v. To define a new behaviour of a method by creating the same method of the superclass with the same name and signature.
- n. A mechanism, device or procedure used to counteract an automatic control.
- n. A royalty.
- n. A device for prioritizing audio signals, such that certain signals receive priority over others.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To ride over or across; to ride upon; to trample down.
- transitive v. To suppress; to destroy; to supersede; to annul; to nullify
- transitive v. To countermand; to overrule.
- transitive v. To replace (one system with another).
- transitive v. To ride beyond; to pass; to outride.
- transitive v. To ride too much; to ride, as a horse, beyond its strength.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To ride over; hence, to trample down; supersede: as, a decision that overrides all previous decisions.
- To ride too much; fatigue by riding.
- To outride; pass in riding.
- In surgery, to overlap: said of a fragment of a broken bone in relation to another fragment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. prevail over
- n. the act of nullifying; making null and void; counteracting or overriding the effect or force of something
- n. a manually operated device to correct the operation of an automatic device
- v. ride (a horse) too hard
- v. counteract the normal operation of (an automatic gear shift in a vehicle)
- v. rule against
Cook hearing the testimony from rasmussen and harrell made it seem like a veto override is unlikely. they both spoke pretty passionately against the bill. rasmussen less so, but it seems like he doesn't ever really get passionate about anything, so who knows. blog comments powered by Disqus publicola nerds
Michael says: cboldt: – the 2/3 for a veto override is explicitly in the Constitution.
It is her ambition, her dream that once again override the need of people and the country, even her own party.
We don't want an override from the federal government.
One of the things that both Marty Lederman and Doug Kmiec agree on is that the President is authorized to disagree with -- and thus, presumably, to "override" -- OLC opinons that he/she objects to.
Among those difficulties are the Repurchase Agreements with their warehouse lenders which Goldstone mentioned, were five months into "override" - a nice term that implies over-extension, delinquency or a combination of both.
At page 3 of this Recount Report, the "Real Time Audit Log" (RTAL) reported a "password override," indicating that the machine had been entered during the election.
The vote on the override is a healthy public opportunity for Members of Congress to consider the reasons offered by the president for his veto.
• In one case, when Mercuri requested the information at the beginning of the RTAL roll be read aloud during the recount, the phrases "password override" and "PEB failure" were read from the audit log.
* In one case, when Mercuri requested the information at the beginning of the RTAL roll be read aloud during the recount, the phrases "password override" and "PEB failure" were read from the audit log.