from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To abolish, do away with, or annul, especially by authority.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Abrogated; abolished.
- transitive v. To annul by an authoritative act; to abolish by the authority of the maker or his successor; to repeal; -- applied to the repeal of laws, decrees, ordinances, the abolition of customs, etc.
- transitive v. To put an end to; to do away with.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To abolish summarily; annul by an authoritative act; repeal.
- To keep clear of; avoid.
- Synonyms Abolish, Repeal, Rescind, etc. (see abolish), cancel, invalidate, dissolve, countermand.
- Annulled; abolished.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. revoke formally
At the current Moscow summit, the word abrogate is used by the Clinton briefers only to say what they would not do and what the Republicans might do.
"abrogate" the peace treaty which the Hashemite Kingdom concluded with Israel in 1994.
He told police he was angered by Mr. Taseer's efforts to abrogate the country's strict blasphemy laws.
In Bolivia, the leftist government of Evo Morales government moved to abrogate contracts of foreign energy companies like Brazil's Petrobras.
To reduce the threat from INF-range missiles, we must either expand the INF Treaty's membership or abrogate it entirely so that we can rebuild our own deterrent capabilities.
Therefore, the executive branch will construe section 2262 not to abrogate these Presidential prerogatives.
Except at the border, where you abrogate any hint of humanity whatsoever?
Voreqe and his regime will never accept the court ruling as it went against their wishes so no doubt they were always going to manipulate the ailing President to abrogate the Constitution as their last resort of holding on to power and to bring about their illegal and illegitimate designs on the government and people of Fiji.
The DNC is a traversty-particularly its leader Tim Kaine - who contnues to abrogate his duty as Governor of Virginia for DNC activity.
The detention facility at Guantanamo Bay was just an excuse by the Bush Administration to abrogate their constitutional responsibility to “take Care that the Law be faithfully executed.”