from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make ineffective or invalid; nullify.
- transitive v. To rule out; deny. See Synonyms at deny.
- transitive v. Computer Science To perform the machine logic operation NOT gate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To deny the existence, evidence, or truth of; to contradict.
- v. To nullify or cause to be ineffective.
- v. To be negative; bring or cause negative results.
- v. To perform the NOT operation on.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To deny; negative; make negative or null.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. deny the truth of
- v. be in contradiction with
- v. prove negative; show to be false
- v. make ineffective by counterbalancing the effect of
Similarly, arithmetic negate is 0-A with carry set (borrow reset).
#3 The absolute undisputable unmoveable authority of the second amendment - which if any "law" attempts to negate is to be disregarded as illegal.
These next 2 installments kind of negate the whole point of the first film.
That would kind of negate the whole idea of top secret.
About the kimchi recipe: because of global warming this is what the clerk at Whole Food said, honestly! causing some drought in California, there's a real lack of organic nappa cabbage n.b. cabbage is notoriously pesticidey--it would kind of negate the health benefits of kimchi to use non-organic, I think.
I mean, we still protected -- Barry's exactly right -- we still protected those who are going to look for some way to kind of negate the effect of the payroll tax, which is our main concern, that those folks are penalized by not being able to take that credit because they do, in fact, pay taxes -- unlike those on the Hill who talk about how they're trying to claim welfare or something.
I will make it even simpler; they don't need carriers - since they can "negate" ours easily.
That would kind of negate the reason for doing it in the first place.
How John Yoo told the CIA to "negate" their specific intent to torture
You hate for one start to kind of negate the little bit of progress he was making.