from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To mate or match unsuitably.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To mate or match wrongly or unsuitably; mismatch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To mate wrongly or unsuitably; to mismatch
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To mate or match amiss or unsuitably.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. provide with an unsuitable mate
mis- + mate (Wiktionary)
It is likewise astonishing that people select homes, mostly for pecuniary betterment, when their children will mate or mismate with those whom they are thus thrown.