from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- A country of the northeast Arabian Peninsula at the head of the Persian Gulf. Settled by Arab tribes in the early 1700s, it became a British protectorate in 1897 and an independent kingdom in 1961. Iraq invaded and occupied the country in 1990, sparking the Persian Gulf War (1991), which ended with Iraqi troops being driven out by a coalition of Arab and Western forces. With its major oil reserves, discovered in 1938, it has one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. The city of Kuwait is its capital.
- The capital of Kuwait, in the east-central part of the country on the Persian Gulf. It was heavily damaged during the Gulf War.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- proper noun Country in the
Middle East. Official name: State of Kuwait.
- proper noun Alternative form of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an Arab kingdom in Asia on the northwestern coast of the Persian Gulf; a major source of petroleum
- noun a seaport on the Persian Gulf and capital of Kuwait
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Dr. Al-Qarashi, an engineer and a professor at the University of Kuwait, had noted in a recent article in the KUWAIT TIMES that against-his-will he had four times been sent to a mental institution by the Kuwait government.
KUWAIT - Sudan can solve its crisis only by ending Arab attempts to dominate Africans, President Yoweri Museveni of neighbouring Uganda said on a visit to Kuwait.
KUWAIT - Uganda wants private Kuwait investment in its growing resource-based economy, President Yoweri Museveni said on a visit to the Gulf oil state.
KUWAIT - Kuwait and the Ivory Coast signed an agreement by which the emirate will sell the West African state 3.75 million tonnes of crude oil over three years.
KUWAIT - Kuwait reinforces its defences after reported exchange of fire with Iraqi forces just a week after one of the most serious post-Gulf War border incidents
KUWAIT _ Unarmed Iraqis in civilian clothes crossed into Kuwait for the second time in as many days Monday and removed equipment from a disputed naval base Baghdad considers within its own territory, a U.N. official said.
KUWAIT - Iraq has bowed to pressure and dismantled the last of its police posts inside Kuwait, removing a persistent cause of friction with the United Nations.
KUWAIT - Five Iraqis were sentenced to death in Kuwait on charges relating to Iraq's seven-month occupation of the emirate, the official Kuwait News Ageny KUNA reported.
KUWAIT - Kuwait, calling Saddam Hussein "the father of all stupidity", put its armed forces on alert for any Iraqi reprisal after a U.S. cruise missile strike on an alleged nuclear facility outside Baghdad.
KUWAIT - Kuwait, calling Saddam Hussein a menace to the Gulf, said it would normalise ties with Iraq only when his government was replaced by an administration that resolved outstanding issues between the two countries.