from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various sea basses, especially Epinephelus guttatus of tropical waters, such as the Mediterranean.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various edible fishes of Serranus and related genera, inhabiting the Mediterranean, the coast of California, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A name applied to various species of edible fishes of the genus Serranus, and related genera, inhabiting the Meditarranean, the coast of California, etc. In California, some of them are also called rock bass and kelp salmon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of certain serranoid fishes.
- n. Epinephelus maculosus, an American grouper.
- n. In Chile, the rockfish, Sebastodes oculatus.
Species in danger of economic extinction in this LME include the cabrilla, black and white seabass, Gulf grouper, yellowtail, dog snapper and sierra.
Robalo: snook, sometimes taken for sea bass (cabrilla) or translated as such on menus.
La Paz: Jonathan Roldan of Tailhunter International reports very few anglers, but very good fishing for cabrilla up to 5 pounds and pargo up to 15 pounds.