from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of caliph.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of caliph.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as caliph, caliphate, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Literally, a successor: the title given to the successor of Mohammed as head of the Moslem state and defender of the faith.
- n. I. (1512-20); the office has since remained in the Ottoman (Sunni) dynasty. The title calif was assumed by the Ommiad rulers of Mohammedan Spain at Cordova (755-1031), after the overthrow of the family in Asia. The Fatimite rulers of Egypt (909-1171) also called themselves califs. Also spelled kalif, khalif, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the civil and religious leader of a Muslim state considered to be a representative of Allah on earth
- n. a state in the western United States on the Pacific; the 3rd largest state; known for earthquakes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Pkm thank god the gov of calif is leaving he put calif in so much dept if the gov and floriea were together runing the state of calif all the poor people would be liveing on the street
And the calif is the most spiritual and political leader of the Muslim community.
Look what arnold did to calif a super rich womem would cut all programs out of schools
The State's population consist of poor white people who left the mideastern states during the civil rights movement and took their racial hate with them and profited. js ... santee calif
I assume you are an extremist and not a moderate thinker (if not you are brain dead according to D-calif Stark)
Rick I am an old deadhead from san francisco, calif, thanks for the news, sorry to hear about his passing did not even know he was in mexico.
Pilotshark Sponsored by Beoing says: geoman77 says: Chumash Casino well theres a Chumash reservation on the central coast of calif.
I'm guessing you are okay with reporter who threw a shoe at Bush ... elaine of calif
Well too bad for you according to the republican party and we now see why only 21% of the country identifies with the GOP. johnnie/calif
I could envision a Dem judge in a Dem state, such calif or iL, ordering a st legislature to pay state employees before creditors or bondholders, and even one ordering a legislature to raise taxes to doit.