from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One, such as a monarch or dictator, that rules or governs.
- n. A straightedged strip, as of wood or metal, for drawing straight lines and measuring lengths. Also called rule.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A (usually rigid), flat, rectangular measuring or drawing device with graduations in units of measurement; a rule; a straightedge with markings; a measure.
- n. A person who rules or governs; a person who exercises dominion or controlling power over others.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who rules; one who exercises sway or authority; a governor.
- n. A straight or curved strip of wood, metal, etc., with a smooth edge, used for guiding a pen or pencil in drawing lines. Cf. Rule, n., 7 (a).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who rules or governs; one who exercises dominion or controlling power over others; a person who commands, manages, restrains, or has part in the making or administration of law; one in authority.
- n. A rule; an instrument made of wood, brass, ivory, or the like, with straight edges or sides, by means of which, as a guide, straight lines may be drawn on paper, parchment, or other substance, by passing a pen or pencil along the edge. (See rule, and parallel ruler, under parallel.) When a ruler has the lines of chords, tangents, sines, etc., it is called a scale. See scale.
- n. In engraving, a workman who operates a ruling-machine for ruling in flat tints, etc. See ruling-machine.
- n. In line-engraving, a straight steel bar supported on cleats, to which a socket is so fitted that it slides evenly and steadily backward and forward.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who rules or commands
- n. measuring stick consisting of a strip of wood or metal or plastic with a straight edge that is used for drawing straight lines and measuring lengths
One more thing, “our rulers” are not prophets, and they are not iconicnal characters cannonized beyond mistakes, being a ruler is a high ranked government job.
Tyranny - a form of government in which the ruler is an absolute dictator (not restricted by a constitution or laws or opposition etc.)
Thrax is the 66th Imprator and the ninth ruler from the Lahaxan bloodline to ascend to the Great Throne.
By pressing the button the digits illuminate and the ruler is ready to go.
“The enlightened ruler is heedful, and the good general full of caution.”
One party country, One ruler, and, that ruler is Big biz.
And it's not clear that any ruler is going to be able to come up with the right combination of policies that could allow North Korea to survive and prosper well into the future.
The ruler is female, and thus only men live in the ooku, 800 of them in their own exclusive world.
His ruler is a refreshing character in comics, a powerful woman who knows her own mind and carries through actions without doubt.
All this is adding to an already tough economic situation since this country's own popular revolt in January, which ousted long-term ruler Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.