from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A roadside telephone used for reporting motorists' emergencies, such as collisions and automotive breakdowns.
- n. Chiefly British A public telephone booth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A telephone on the interstate to make phone calls in case of emergency.
- n. A telephone box.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. booth for using a telephone
- n. a numbered compartment in a post office where mail is put to be called for
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But the nurse call box with its one red button was gone from my side that eighth night, fallen off the side of the bed, I guessed, when Babci had leaned in to make sure my hand had made it to the first Our Father bead right on schedule.