from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A homing pigeon, especially one trained to carry messages.
- n. Any of various large domestic pigeons having a prominent wattle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A domestic pigeon which transports attached messages or very small parcels from the place where it is released to a familiar destination.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a variety of the domestic pigeon used to convey letters from a distant point to to its home.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pigeon of a particular breed trained to convey from one place to another written messages tied to the neck or wing, or more commonly to the leg.
- n. A breed of domesticated pigeon, having as its most apparent characteristic a huge wattle, like a miniature cauliflower, about the base of the stout beak, and a small wattle around the eye.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a homing pigeon used to carry messages
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.