from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Eurasian currant (Ribes nigrum) bearing black berries.
- n. A cordial made from the berries of this plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The blackcurrant plant, Ribes nigrum; the flavor of its berries
- n. A liqueur made from these berries, especially crème de cassis.
- n. A wine flavor note, suggesting the fruity and full-bodied characteristics of the fruit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large genus of prosobranchiate gastropodous mollusks, known as helmet-shells, formerly placed with the Buccinidæ or whelks, or with the Doliidæ, but now made the type of a family Cassididæ. See cut under Cassididæ.
The second, native to China and Vietnam, is commonly called cassis and is darker, stronger in flavor and forms a stick with a double roll, McGee explains.
Vietnam, is commonly called cassis and is darker, stronger in flavor and forms a stick with a double roll, McGee explains.
I recall cassis from my days in France...but, your variation on these truffles look good!
They bought some purple sweets called cassis to take back with them for Sheila, and they bought a large green picture-book called Bahar the Elephant.
"Oh!" replied he, "it's a nickname my mates have given me because I generally drink 'cassis' when they force me to accompany them to the wineshop.
Mr. Puck is also on a first-name basis with many of Hollywood's glitterati and each year cooks up dreamy delights such as Kobe burgers, artichoke salad and tomato confit and cassis gelle for a host of celebrities at the post-Oscars Governors Ball.
Bryan Derballa Chef Anita Lo shakes up creme de cassis, a liqueur made from black currants.
Bryan Derballa for The Wall Street Journal For cookouts, Ms. Lo chooses drinks that feel light, such as a blend of sparkling wine and crème de cassis.
Sunflowers, lavender, cassis – and not a budget flight in sight.
This blend of 86% cabernet franc and 14% merlot shows ripe, intense blackberry and cassis fruit aromas on the nose, which are accented by vanilla, toasty oak and some dried plum layered beneath.