from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something in a central position, especially a decorative object or arrangement placed at the center of a table.
- n. The central or most important feature: "Now comes decontrol, the centerpiece of [the President's] energy program” ( Tom Alexander).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of centrepiece.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An ornament to be placed in the center, as of a table, ceiling, atc.; a central article or figure.
- n. the central or most important feature of an activity, plan, or object.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ornament intended to be placed in the middle or center of something, as of a table, ceiling, or mantelshelf, or between other ornaments.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something placed at the center of something else (as on a table)
- n. the central or most important feature
The term centerpiece is often incorrectly used as a synonym for flowers.
A Clinton spokesman said she would showcase what he called the "centerpiece" of U.S. trade policy with the continent.
As with every Democratic initiative, the centerpiece is a massive tax increase on productive members of society so the liberals can buy votes from the unproductive.
I have been eyeballing cans too --- I think using them as a centerpiece is a lovely idea!
Serving as the festival centerpiece is "The Tempest," a rendition of the Shakespeare play by Julie Taymor (who directed the 2007 love story "Across the Universe").
Its centerpiece is a futuristic, crescent-shaped steel roof that floats above the stadium seats.
The centerpiece is the picture of my wife and I, although it was not my idea, it was my wife's.
The centerpiece is a rotating cluster of accessories.
The centerpiece is Peter Bagge's extended "The Incorrigible Hulk," a crazed, abrasive look at the insecure mind and abused body of Bruce Banner.
The centerpiece is the Get Your Porn I.D. program which allows you to create a porn identification card which can be shared socially (myspace, facebook, wherever).