from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various parasitic flatworms of the class Cestoda, including the tapeworms, having a long flat body equipped with a specialized organ of attachment at one end.
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the class Cestoda.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various parasitic tapeworms of the class Cestoda
- adj. Of or characteristic of such creatures
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Cestoidea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as cestoid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. ribbonlike flatworms that are parasitic in the intestines of humans and other vertebrates
The echinococcus is a tiny cestode which is the factor in the production of the well-known hydatid cysts which may be found in any part of the body.
The latter conclusion is supported by the phylogeography (relationship between genetic identity and geographic distribution) of the '' Paranoplocephala arctica '' species complex, a cestode parasite of '' Dicrostonyx '' spp., indicating that two subclades probably survived the LGM with their host in the Canadian High Arctic .
Phenotypic manipulation by the cestode parasite Schistocephalus solidus of its intermediate host, Gasterosteus aculeatus, the threespine stickleback.
The head or scolex is adorned with hooks and suckers that enable the cestode to attach to the gut lining.
Trematode & cestode infections from high to nil, depending on the particular excreta, usage of effluent and other local circumstances
If these are carefully sectioned there may usually be found at the center the remains of certain cestode larvæ whose presence in the oyster caused it to deposit the nacreous layers that make up the pearl.
Lightowlers MW, Gauci CG, Chow C, Drew DR, Gauci SM, et al. (2003) Molecular and genetic characterisation of the host-protective oncosphere antigens of taeniid cestode parasites.