from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. People who are renowned to chat, argue and debate excessively


Blend of chatter and literati and glitterati coined by Peter Simmons in 1989 and used in The Globe, a satirical newsletter for the Norwich based Development and Environment Centre and frequently in letters to newspapers and online journals, since used by a number of people in published works. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Just heard Harry Shearer use this word on his "Le Show" radio program.

    October 1, 2007

  • "The talking heads, pundits, columnists, talk show hosts, etc., who have something "expert" to say on every issue -- whether it's meaningful or not." per

    March 4, 2007