from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several small deerlike hornless ruminants of the genera Hyemoschus, Moschiola, and Tragulus, native to tropical and subtropical forests of India, Southeast Asia, and west-central Africa.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A name of the napu and other species of hornless pygmy deer of the genus Tragulus, resembling the musk-deer and often confused with it, but belonging to a different family, Tragulidæ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) A small ruminant of the family
Tragulidæa allied to the musk deer. It inhabits Africa and the East Indies. See kanchil.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any of several small hornless
ruminants, of the genera Hyemoschus and Tragulus, native to tropical rainforests.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun very small hornless deer-like ruminant of tropical Asia and west Africa
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word chevrotain.
Other species include the endemic water chevrotain Hyemoschus aquaticus, African golden cat Felis aurata (K), giant forest genet Genetta victoriae, the endemic aquatic genet Osbornictis piscivora, leopard Panthera pardus, giant ground pangolin Manis gigantea, aardvark orycteropus afer, pygmy antelope Neotragus batesii, forest buffalo Syncerus caffer nanus, bush pig Potamochoerus porcus and giant forest hog Hylochoerus meinertzhageni (V) and great cane rat Thryonomys swinderianus.
A subspecies of mouse deer, the Balabac chevrotain (Tragulus napu nigricans), which is confined to Balabac Island, is also considered endangered.
Palawan rain forests 2008
The mammal community includes several ungulates of conservation importance such as the blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra), the chinkara (Gazella bennettii), and the small Indian chevrotain or mouse deer (Moschiola meminna).
The water chevrotain, a related African animal, is found from eastern Zaire to the Atlantic coast. figure
26 Mouse Deer 1991
Un apertu sur l'Tcologie du chevrotain africain, Hyemoschus aquaticus Ogilby, Artiodactyle Tragulide.
Chapter 11 1991
Le comportement du chevrotain africain, Hyemoschus aquaticus Ogilby (Artiodactyla, Ruminantia).
Chapter 11 1991
chained_bear commented on the word chevrotain
Pictured with the meminna.
August 26, 2008