from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Contemptibly petty, insignificant nonsense.
- n. A coward.
- adj. Contemptibly unimportant; petty.
- adj. Cowardly; afraid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. petty and contemptible; compare bullshit
- adj. cowardly
- n. something petty and contemptible
- n. (vulgar, slang) A low-ranking officer who lords over and needlessly makes life miserable for his underlings, a petty, abusive martinet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a false statement that is considered to indicate timidity or fear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a false statement that is considered to indicate timidity or fear
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Yeah, chickenshit is right, but the appropriate target of that adjective is Cheney and YOU.
Regardless, being a chickenshit is not the answer, standing up for your rights is.
What SF calls chickenshit is simply negated because there is no there there.
Also, if you are going to say "chickenshit", man up and spell it out.
Now he looks like the worst kind of chickenshit political hack.
Unfortunately, Mr. Morgenthau's twilight isn't as entertaining as it looked like it might be a few weeks ago, when the outgoing district attorney accused Mayor Bloomberg of making "chickenshit" comments.
The Times puts the mayor's "chickenshit" pursuit of Robert Morgenthau's "hidden" bank account in perspective this morning: Apparently there are 2,700 unauthorized city accounts around town, worth more than $122 million dollars.
What has the "chickenshit" done for America in its pathetic life?
"Just don't tell me this kind of chickenshit, for Chrissake!"
No, I think "chickenshit" is apt for waiting till now to come in.